Marge's Still - Chicago
Established in 1885, Marge’s Still is one of the oldest running taverns in Chicago. In its earliest days, Marge’s was called “Victor Caruso’s Soft Drinks” but trust us, there was nothing soft about these drinks. This combination barber shop and corner saloon became infamous during the prohibition era as a speakeasy, where the neighborhood came together over a love of, well, drinking.
Patrons would enter through the side staircase which can still be seen right outside, along with the original wooden bar, at Marge’s today. Not only did Caruso’s provide spirits and great company, they actually distilled and fermented their own gin in a bathtub on the second floor. This practice was even continued by Marge later on when she purchased the establishment.
In 1957, Marge Landeck took ownership of the bar, becoming the first woman in the city of Chicago to obtain a liquor license.