Zaalouk is a traditional Moroccan salad made of eggplant and tomatoes, cooked to a puree. “It’s an authentic Moroccan dish that can be served hot or cold, says Chef Khalid Kamal, owner of Shokran in Irving Park.
Ingredients2 medium size eggplants 1/2 cup olive oil 2 cups diced tomatoes 1 tablespoon diced fresh garlic 1 teaspoon paprika 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Bake the eggplants in a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Peel the skin off and discard.
- Dice the remaining eggplant.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add the tomatoes and garlic.
- Mix well, then stir in the paprika, salt and pepper and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the diced eggplant, cilantro and cumin.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot or chilled.