Celebrity chef Art Smith creates a mouth-watering turkey chili nachos recipe that's ideal for a big game day.
IngredientsBlack Beans: 1/2 lb of Bob's Red Mill Bountiful Black Bean Soup mix, soak in water overnight 6 cups of water 2 bay leaves 1 dried chili 2 cloves of garlic, smashed 1 cup of onions chopped Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste Turkey Chili Base Ingredients: 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil 2 lbs of ground fresh turkey 1 lb of spicy Italian sausage 1/4 cup of celery chopped 1/2 bell pepper chopped 1/2 cup of good chili powder 2 tbsp of ground cumin 2 cups of good-quality or organic tomato sauce 4 cups of chicken broth (we recommend organic) For nachos: 4 cups of turkey chili Half bag of tortilla chips 1/2 cup of cheddar, grated 1/2 cup of queso fresco
To make the chili, you’ll need two larger pots.
In the first pot, prepare the black beans:
- Take a 1/2 pound of Bob’s Red Mill Bountiful Black Bean Soup mix and soak in water overnight.
- Then combine the beans in 6 cups of water with bay leaves; dried chili; garlic; onions, sea salt and pepper.
- Cook all until the beans are tender, about 15 minutes.
In second pot, prepare the turkey chili base:
- Add olive oil, heat and add ground turkey, turkey sauce and sauté till broken up and browned.
- Add celery and bell peppers, cook till tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add chili powder and cumin and cook in mixture.
- Then add tomato sauce and chicken broth and simmer, 20 minutes.
- Add drained, slightly cooked beans into pot and simmer with turkey for 20 minutes.
- Serve as chili with light sour cream or Greek yogurt and shredded cheese. Or make the chili into nachos or tacos.
(Republished with permission by Abe's Market)