The secret to Nightwood's tots: "cooking the potatoes in a very specific way, which yields a flavorful result and crispy outer crust."
Ingredients2-3 large russet potatoes Canola oil Salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Roast potatoes until they reach internal temperature of 155 degrees.
- Allow them to cool to room temperatures and then refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, peel them and then grate with a box grater. Season lightly with salt.
- Use an ice cream scoop to form little balls.
- Put the balls on a baking sheet and freeze overnight.
- Heat a few inches of the canola oil in a deep, big pot to 350 degrees.
- Using a big slotted spoon, gently lower the balls straight from the freezer into the hot oil.
- Let them fry for a few minutes until they are golden brown.
- Carefully remove and place on paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Season with salt.