MK executive chef Erick Williams whips up a hearty sweet potato soup that's certain to keep you warm all winter.
Ingredients4 tbsp butter 2 onions, diced 2 oz ginger 3 lb cups fresh sweet potato, roasted and removed from the skin* 7 cups water 2 oz honey 1/4 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp nutmeg 2 cups coconut milk 2 tsp salt 2 tsp of freshly ground pepper
- In a stockpot over medium heat, melt butter and saute onion about 8-10 minutes, heat stirring occasionally.
- Add ginger and sweat for four minutes and add roasted sweet potatoes, honey and stir.
- Add the water and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Then, add the coconut milk and simmer for 5 more minutes, lowering the heat if necessary so it does not boil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide soup among 8 soup bowls and serve immediately.
*Cook's Note: To roast sweet potatoes, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. and place the sweet potatoes on a wax paper lined sheet tray (baking sheet) and roast in the oven until fork tender, about 40 to 60 minutes. Let cool and peel away skin.