Reasonably priced beef cuts that offer rich flavor, short ribs make delectable winter eating.
- 1/2 cup ancho chili powder
- 1/4 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh cracked pepper
- 15 double short ribs
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 red onions, diced
- 1/2 cup minced garlic
- 1/2 cup minced fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup Asian fermented black beans, soaked and pureed
- 1 750 ml bottle dry red wine
- 1 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cool water
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Combine the the chili powder, salt and pepper and rub the mixture into the short ribs.
Heat the oil in a large dutch oven over high heat. Sear the meat until browned on all sides. Don’t move it too much — keep the pan hot. Remove ribs and set aside.
In the same pan, cook the onions, garlic and ginger. Add the red wine, soy sauce, pureed black beans, thyme and bay leaves. Return the meat to the pan and spoon some of the vegetables over the top. Cover and put in the oven for 2 hours, until fork tender.
Discard the bay leaves. Dissolve the cornstarch in the water, whisk into the cooking liquid and bring to boil to thicken. Serve the sauce with ribs.