Chef Brian Jupiter shows off his Southern roots with this sweet sensation that comes with a spirited dipping sauce.
Ingredients1/4 oz dry yeast 4 tbsp warm water 1 1/2 cups plus 4 tbsp of flour 1 tsp kosher salt 1/4 plus 3 tablespoons of Sugar 1 1/4 cup milk 3 Eggs beaten 1/4 cup buttermilk 5 apples, diced 4 oz spiced rum 2 oz Amaretto 5 tbsp brown sugar 2 tbsp cinnamon 1 tbsp ground allspice
Make the beignets:
- Combine warm water, yeast and sugar.
- Add remaining ingredients and knead until fully incorporated.
- Cover with a damp cloth and allow dough to rise for 45 minutes in a warm place.
- Preheat vegetable oil to 350 degrees.
- Dust countertop with flour, roll dough to 3/4 inch thick and cut into squares.
- Fry until the doughnuts puff up and turn golden brown. That takes approximately 5 to 6 minutes.
- Drain oil and dust doughnuts generously with powdered sugar.
Make the apple rum sauce:
- Heat a sauté pan and add apples, sugar and spices.
- Allow them to cook for about three minutes.
- Add the amaretto and spiced rum.
- Allow this to cook over low heat until apples are soft.
- Puree the entire contents of the pan in a blender or food processor.
Serve apple sauce with the powdered doughnuts.