A favorite American dessert, banana cream pie in its simplest form features a crust filled with sliced bananas in custard, surmounted by mounds of whipped cream.
IngredientsCrust: 2 cups graham cracker crumbs 1/3 cup granulated sugar 1/8 teaspoon salt 1/4 pound butter, melted Filling: 1/2 cup sugar 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour 1/4 teaspoon salt 2 1/2 cups milk 2 egg yolks 1/8 teaspoon salt 1 tablespoon butter 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract 3 large, ripe bananas Topping: 1 cup whipping cream Powdered sugar to taste 1 to 2 drops vanilla extract
Make the graham cracker shell:
- Toast the graham cracker crumbs by stirring in a dry frying pan over medium heat and combine with the melted butter, sugar and salt.
- Fill pie pan with crumb mixture by pressing into a shell shape with the palm of the hand.
- Toast again until it browns lightly.
- Cool, and set aside.
Prepare the custard filling:
- Mix sugar with flour and salt in top of a double boiler.
- Gradually stir in milk; continue cooking, stirring constantly, over boiling water until thickened.
- Cover and cook for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To the beaten egg add a small amount of the milk mixture while stirring vigorously; return egg mixture to the milk mixture in the double boiler and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 more minutes over hot water (not boiling).
- Remove from heat; add butter, salt and vanilla then cool.
- Slice 2 bananas into the baked pie shell.
- Pour the cooked custard over the bananas all at once.
- Chill for 1 hour or more.
- Just before serving, cover the custard with the thinly sliced remaining banana.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks, add vanilla and sugar.
- Garnish the pie with clouds of soft whipped cream.