Stuffed Squash Blossoms
- 4 zucchini flowers, pistil and stamen removed
- 2 ounces fontina cheese, cut in four pieces
- 1/2 anchovy fillet, cut in four pieces (optional)
- Soda water
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup olive oil
- Arugula for garnish
- Inspect the inside of the flowers and remove the pistil and stamen.
- Place a small square of fontina cheese and an optional 1/8 filet of anchovy.
- Twist the top of the flower and set aside. In a mixing bowl, mix together the flour, salt, pepper, and soda water to a batter consistency.
- In a large saute pan, heat the olive oil and heat carefully.
- Dip the flowers into the batter and then drop into the hot oil. Be careful your oil is not too hot.
- Lightly brown the flowers on all sides (about 1 minute) then turn off oil and take flowers out and place over towel to absorb excess oil.
- Serve immediately, garnished with arugula.