Mussels are savory mollusks with thin, dark, oval shells. Of about 17 edible species, the most popular culinary varieties are common blue mussels (Mytilus edulis), Mediterranean (M. galloprovincialis) and Baltic (M. trossellus) and greenshell mussels (Perna canaliculus).
Ingredients2 tablespoons butter Zest from 1/2 lemon 2 cloves garlic, chopped 1 teaspoon whole coriander seed 1 pound mussels, washed and debearded 1 teaspoon salt 1 cup beer, such as Goose Island Honkers Ale 4 cherry tomatoes, quartered 5 sprigs fresh cilantro, stems removed and discarded
- Heat a 1-quart casserole or wide saucepan over medium high heat and add the butter.
- When the butter is hot and foamy, add the lemon zest, chopped garlic and coriander seeds.
- Saute for 1 minute, then add the mussels and salt; toss well.
- Add the beer and cherry tomatoes.
- Cover and cook for 3 or 4 minutes or until all the mussels are opened.
- Discard any mussels that have not opened and add the fresh cilantro.
- Toss well and pour in a large pasta bowl.
- Serve quickly with warm crusty baguette.