Lobster thermidor, a luxurious dish, features grilled lobster meat served in the shell with a rich sauce. The sauce varies, ranging from bechamel to cream sauce to brandy sauce to hollandaise. It is sometimes topped with grated cheese and broiled.
Ingredients1 2- to 3-pound live lobster 1 tablespoon melted butter Salt and pepper to taste Hollandaise sauce Hollandaise 4 egg yolks 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar 1 pound butter, melted Salt, pepper and red hot sauce to taste
- Pierce the head of the lobster with a skewer or a knife to humanely kill the lobster.
- Remove claws from lobster and reserve for another use (such as a lobster BLT).
- Split the lobster in half lengthwise starting at the head down to the tail.
- Remove tomalley and egg sac (if female) and reserve for another use. (Saute the tomalley and egg sac in butter and then whip into room temperature whole butter, for a delicious steak topper.)
- Rinse the lobster body with cold water to clean any remaining debris.
- Brush the lobster with butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill shell side down until the meat is nearly cooked then turn over to finish.
- Top with hollandaise sauce.
- Beat yolks and vinegar with a whisk( or immersion blender) until frothy.
- Slowly add butter while continuously whisking until the sauce is thick.
- Add salt, pepper, and hot sauce to taste.