Panna cotta, “cooked cream” in Italian, is a delicate dessert of milk or cream set with gelatin — milk Jell-O, if you will. In its most traditional form, it’s flavored simply with vanilla, but creative chefs do all kinds of things with it, even turning it into a savory dish.
IngredientsHorseradish panna cotta: 1-1/2 cups whipping cream 2 gelatin leaves or 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin, soaked in cold water 1 cup mayonnaise 2 tablespoon grated fresh horseradish (or bottled horseradish) Juice of 1/2 lemon Salt and pepper to taste Balsamic-pickled raspberries: 1 pint of fresh raspberries 1 cup aged balsamic vinegar. Lobster salad: 1 2-pound live Maine lobster 1 gallon water 1/2 cup kosher salt 1 piece cheesecloth 1 sprig of thyme 1 bay leaf 1 teaspoon black peppercorns 1 cup mirepoix (diced mixed carrots, onions and celery) 1-1/2 lemons Cold water and ice Zest of 1 lime 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 1/4 teaspoon salt Freshly ground pepper to taste
Prepare the panna cotta:
- Bring the cream to a boil, remove from the heat and add the gelatin; let cool to room temperature.
- Mix the mayonnaise and horseradish together.
- Add the lemon juice to the mayonnaise and gently mix into the cream with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour into 4 martini glasses, cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 hours before serving.
Pickle the raspberries:
- Put the raspberries in a small bowl and cover them with the balsamic vinegar; let soak for 3 hours.
- Drain, reserving the liquid for the lobster salad.
Cook the lobster:
- Bring the water to boil in a large pot; add kosher salt.
- Make a sachet using the cheesecloth, thyme, bay leaf and peppercorn.
- Add the mirepoix and a half lemon.
- Prepare a large bowl of water and ice.
- When the broth is ready and boiling, add the whole lobster and let cook 7 minutes covered with a lid.
- When cooked, remove the lobster and shock by immersing in the ice water bath for a few minutes, until the lobster is completely cooled.
Prepare the lobster salad:
- Break down and shell the lobster.
- Chop the knuckles and claws, and slice the tail into medallions.
- Mix the pickling liquid drained from the raspberries, the lime zest, juice of one lemon, the olive oil and chopped tarragon.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Reserve until ready to serve, then remix and toss with the lobster.
- Put some lobster salad on the panna cotta and add some pickled raspberries.