Tart and refreshing, oshinko or tsukemono, Japanese style pickles, are made from a variety of vegetables, often brilliantly colored and intensely flavored. Most traditional Japanese meals feature some type of pickles, and there are a wide range of styles.
Ingredients1 pound green beans 1 tablespoon wasabi paste, mixed with water 1-1/2 cups water 3/4 cup rice vinegar 3 teaspoons sugar 3 teaspoons salt
- Place the green beans in a plastic or glass container.
- Place the wasabi on top of the beans.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the remaining ingredients to a boil, remove from heat and pour over the green beans.
- Place on top a same-size container filled with enough water to weigh down the beans.
- Let it stand 3 days, then refrigerate.
- Makes 1 pound pickles.