Classic cheese fondue is a communal meal of warm cheese melted with wine, traditionally served from a heated pot and eaten with cubes of bread or pieces of fruit that diners dip into the cheese with long forks.
Ingredientsrench bread and/or other hearty breads such as pumpernickel or onion 1-1/2 cups dry white wine 1 pound gruyere cheese, sliced 1 teaspoon Kirschwasser (cherry brandy) 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder 1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg 1/8 teaspoon salt or to taste Apple wedges Grapes
- Cut the bread the night before serving and store in a container which is left slightly open to allow the bread to firm and dry, creating a contrast of textures (traditional fondue is served with stale bread).
- Heat the wine in double boiler.
- Add the sliced cheese.
- Cook until cheese is soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add the Kirschwasser, garlic, nutmeg and salt.
- Stir until creamy.
- Transfer as needed to a fondue pot and serve with bread and fruit for dipping.