America’s foremost native spirits, bourbon is whiskey distilled from at least 51 percent corn and aged in charred oak barrels. Along with corn, it typically also contains barley malt and rye or wheat. By law, bourbon must be between 80 and 160 proof and aged at least two years.
Ingredients8 egg yolks 1 cup sugar 1-1/3 cups whipping cream 2 cups Goose Island Bourbon County Vanilla Stout 1/2 cup bourbon 2 vanilla beans, split lengthwise Ice and water
- Whisk together the egg yolks and sugar until light colored and well combined.
- In a small saucepan, heat the cream, beer, bourbon and vanilla beans for 5 minutes.
- Slowly add the warm cream mixture to the egg yolks, a little at a time.
- Then add the mixture to the saucepan and cook, stirring constantly, over very low heat until it is slightly thickened.
- Once, thickened remove from the heat and place in bowl of ice and water to chill.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or until it is very cold.
- Finish in an ice cream maker according to the package directions.