Graceland was established in 1860 by Thomas Bryan, a lawyer with a successful Chicago practice. He purchased its original 80 acres and received a perpetual charter from Illinois in 1861, and soon hired prominent landscape architect H.W.S. Cleveland to plan its park-like ambiance.
Originally, Graceland’s southern boundary – now Irving Park Road – was two miles outside Chicago’s city limits, in the town of Lake View. After some negotiation with the town’s residents, Graceland expanded eastward and northwest to encompass its present size of 119 acres.
It is the final resting place for a number of prominent businessmen, politicians, athletes, inventors and public figures.