Brandon Harris Walker: “Chinese Food on Christmas”
You don’t have to eat Chinese food on Christmas. It turns out there are a lot of other things to do.
For Jews and other non-Christians, eating out on Christmas Day has often meant visiting Chinese restaurants, traditionally among the few establishments open on the holiday. They are joined by Italians, Poles and others who hold their big celebration on Christmas Eve.
But no more. Here’s a list of 50 restaurants and bars that will be open on Dec. 25 this year, many of which are serving festive holiday fare. Of course, if you want to eat Chinese food, all the usual Chinese places in Chinatown, Uptown and the northern suburbs will be open on Christmas Day, too. Many Indian restaurants will open, as well.
As always, call ahead to check on hours and menus; reservations may be required. Even more local restaurants will be open on Christmas Eve, but some will close, so calling ahead then is a good idea, too.
- 33 Club, Old Town.
- Aja, Loop.
- Allgauer’s, Alsip and Lisle.
- Amarit Thai Restaurant, South Loop.
- Ann Sather, Andersonville and Lakeview.
- Aria, Loop.
- Bin 36, River North.
- Birch River Grill, Arlington Heights.
- Cafe des Architectes, Gold Coast.
- Carnivale, River West.
- Carson’s The Place for Ribs, River North.
- C-House, Streeterville.
- Cityscape Bar, River North.
- Cuatro, Near South Side.
- Dine, West Loop.
- Di Pescara, Northbrook.
- Drake Bros.’s, Streeterville.
- Drury Lane, Oakbrook Terrace.
- Duke’s Alehouse and Kitchen, Crystal Lake.
- Durty Nellie’s, Palatine.
- Fireside, Ravenswood.
- Glen Prairie, Glen Ellyn.
- Golden Nugget, Logan Square and Ravenswood.
- Harry Caray’s, Rosemont and Lombard.
- Holy Mackerel, Lombard.
- Italiasia Restaurant, River North.
- Jack Binion’s Steak House, Hammond, Ind.
- Karma, Mundelein.
- Koi, Evanston.
- Little Bucharest Bistro, Irving Park.
- Lockwood, Loop.
- Los Moles, Lakeview.
- Lottie’s Pub, Bucktown.
- McCormick and Schmick’s, Loop, Oak Brook, Rosemont , Schaumburg, Skokie and Streeterville.
- Mercat a la Planxa, Loop.
- NoMi, Magnificent Mile.
- O’Donovan’s Pub & Restaurant, North Center.
- Rosebud on Rush, River North.
- Seasons, Streeterville.
- Sixteen, River North.
- Smith & Wollensky, River North.
- State and Lake, Loop.
- SugarToad, Naperville.
- SushiSamba rio, River North.
- Sushi Taiyo, River North.
- Weber Grill Restaurant, River North.
- Wave, Streeterville.
- Whitney’s Cafe, Oak Lawn.
- Wildfire, Lincolnshire.
- Zest, Magnificent Mile.